Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cooking on my own

One of the things that goes with living on your own after graduating with college or moving into your own place, is cooking for oneself.  I've lived away from home now for almost 4 years. I spent two years in the dorm and eating cafeteria food and then another 2 years in an apartment and now in Tunisia.  My mother is an awesome cook, so, I've been a little spoiled throughout my life because she makes the best stuff (especially any kind of cookie or cake). Now I've had to learn how to survive.

I can honestly say I make some darn good Spaghetti Bolognese, decent teriyaki beef with steamed vegetables, most kinds of rice and a wonderful frozen pizza.  But I get tired of eating the same kinds of thing each week.  Thus, I've been trying to branch out a little, which is difficult when you're in a foreign country.  I tried making a beef dish the other day but it didn't quite come out how I hoped.  I'm having trouble keeping the beef moist and not turning into beef jerky.  I was successful at steaming cauliflower, which is exciting for me.  It's not difficult but I'd never done it, so, I was interested to see how it would turn out.  I hope it is quite obvious from this whole spiel that I don't know what I'm doing at all when I'm in the kitchen if I have never made the item before.  Once I've made it though, I can do it and I actually start to get good at it too.

If you have any good recipes that are simple and require very normal ingredients please let me know.

Photograph taken for Dramatic Purposes


Bye now.

Jack

Recently watched:  The Bucket List
Currently Listening To:  Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens

No comments: