Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ramadan - A Few Observations

Well, after a great 9 day trip in the UK, I arrived back to Tunisia 5 days or so into Ramadan.  I've been back now just a fews days but I have a few observations.

-First off, right when the fast breaks the streets are empty of course.  But at 7:30 pm.  I found it a bit creepy, kind of like that scene from the beginning of 28 Days Later.
-I keep seeing people drink or eat during the day.  Ha!!  I respect that if you're not going to fast, why try and hide it.
-It's funny to me that right after the fast breaks, everyone is smoking and eating a ridiculous amount of food.  

That's basically it.  I've talked to a few people about it and most of them say the first few days are hard but then it becomes normal because your eating schedule shifts.  But it is hot and I don't know if I could manage doing it for a month.  I am frustrated though that all the sandwich places are closed.  I want some Chez Joseph (my fav sandwich spot).

Jack

No comments: